During our recent trip to Quebec Province in Canada, we visited a place called Omega Park. The park is full of elk, buffalo, deer, bears and boars which all can be fed from the comfort of your vehicle. That being said, the elk and the deer are allowed to get pretty close. For just two dollars, you can purchase a big bag of carrots and feed them as much as you want. As you'll see, Eli had a great experience feeding a large elk. The whole experience kind of reminded me of pan handlers in a third world country... only bigger... much bigger.
This is what we faced after having driven roughly 15 feet into the park. A hoard of carrot craving elk! Check out the teeth on these guys. It seems fairly obvious they've been imported from the United Kingdom.
Although it didn't actually say anything, it was clear this elk was serious about getting a carrot. In fact, I'm pretty sure that if this elk had been equipped with a laser, Gary, Cody's dad, would have been finished.
Petting an elk inside your vehicle is always a bit more tense than petting one inside say... a petting zoo.
This is what it looks like when the photographer is trying to feed the elk from the back seat. This is not a preferred method.
This is what it looks like when the passenger feeds an elk coming in from the driver's side of the vehicle. This also is not a preferred method.
The deer weren't quite as invasive, so Eli actually managed to outstretch his arm in delivering this carrot.
These elk ran a checkpoint as effectively as U.S. soldiers in Iraq. They would force you to come to a stop because they would walk directly in front of your vehicle and would then come along side to request their due. This elk actually told me to put $20 between his fourth and fifth point on his antlers. It was like I was inside Disneyland, but much more threatening.
Then there was the Kjersti deer. When we tried to feed her a carrot, she actually said, "No thanks, but would you happen to have some chocolate or other tasty treats?"
3 comments:
That is so crazy! I bet it freaked you out a little to have those elk so close. I loved Eli's giggles!
That is the funniest thing I have ever seen! I bet it was a little nerve racking. And your commentary is just as funny.
Yikes! I don't know how I would feel about that...I am a wimp!
Post a Comment